Who we are & what we do
Invisible Illnesses Inc is a registered Not for Profit in-person support and social group for those who suffer from an invisible illness, such as Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain, Depression, Diabetes, ADHD, Chronic Fatigue and Mental Health in WA. We understand what it’s like to feel alone while struggling with an invisible illness and support not only sufferers but those that support sufferers as well. We have been running for 5 years.
We are a self-funded group. Most of our income comes from membership fees, fundraising, grants, items we sell at different events and our op shop – Shop 4 A Cause, located on Dixon Road Rockingham.
Invisible Illnesses Inc constantly advocate the awareness of invisible illnesses by attending many different markets, fairs, shows etc through the metro & rural areas.
Living with an invisible illness is challenging, necessitating a variety of skills to help you make it through each day with a sense of satisfaction. Life with an invisible illness can sometimes be an isolating experience. We are conquerors, we are survivors, but we are also sufferers. It is commonly misunderstood that a person cannot be both.
Our mission is to help facilitate a change in knowledge, understanding and behaviour and to improve pain management and quality of life. To support those who suffer as well as those who care for someone with an invisible illness. To spread awareness and break down the stigma attached to an invisible illness.
We are a registered Centrelink approved organisation for those who have to volunteer for a certain amount of hours to be able to receive their benefits. We also work with a number of disability groups, giving those with other conditions such as Autism a chance of volunteering and learning new skills.
- Support and educate people diagnosed with an invisible illness
- Educate health professionals in the management of symptoms of Fibromyalgia and other invisible illnesses
- Increase community awareness of the implications of a diagnosis of an Invisible Illness
- To maximise access and inclusion.
We work hard to increase awareness of different invisible illnesses and facilitate support networks for people with them. The things that we do as part of this work include:
- Development and provision of Invisible Illness information leaflets & other information sheets
- Mentoring those who are struggling and need some guidance
- Public Educational Forums on Invisible Illnesses
- Educational days every 3 months where we have different speakers talk about ways of managing an invisible illness. We have speakers from both the medical and holistic side
- Annual celebratory Never Hide Your Wings Gala & Recognition Night
- Fundraising and public awareness events such as Sausage Sizzles and attending different markets & shopping centres and Agricultural Shows
- Provide speakers for different invisible illnesses awareness events
- Different workshops from learning to crochet, basic computer or getting back into the workforce.
- We have an off-shoot to the group called Helping Hands which assists those who are having problems at home with housework, gardening etc. Our volunteers can also help with cooking, transport and shopping.
- Our Casual Cuppa’s are an informal get-together for people with an invisible illness and their supporters. They are a great opportunity to meet people who really do understand. You can compare notes, or just chat about anything. Do not think you are ever alone or you have been told your symptoms are all in your head. There are men and women for you to meet that have stories to share, of the hope they have found since meeting others like yourself. Give yourself a break and meet others on your journey.
- To take our Living with an Invisible Illness education forum into schools & mine sites.
- To grow our subbranches in more regional towns as well as becoming more established in other metro areas
- To open more opshops.
- To go national. We are already being contacted by doctors in the eastern states to see if we are going national as there is a great need for it
- To be widely recognised by doctors and other health professionals
- To go global
Many sufferers are unable to work and are on a limited income. We frequently hear that by the time we’ve paid our rent/mortgage, utilities such as power and food there is very little money left, so there is no money for what people call ‘luxury items’ even though some of these are vital to our wellbeing/mental state. We all know that if we look good, we feel good.
We at Invisible Illnesses Inc believe that well-being services should be available to everyone and aim to develop a service system that meets the whole person’s needs and promotes and embeds health and well-being at an affordable rate. If you are a hairdresser, podiatrist, massage therapist, etc., and would like to give back to the community, we would love to hear from you.
We run an Op Shop – Shop 4 A Cause located at 15 Dixon Road Rockingham. We are currently taking donations of clothing, bric – a -brac, toys, furniture and electrical goods as long as it’s in good clean condition. If you have anything you would like to donate, please get in touch with us.
Our Op Shops are part of our business that we are looking at expanding into other areas. We are looking for owners of vacant commercial premises that would be interested in helping us. The other areas we are looking at expanding into are Port Kennedy, Mandurah and Kwinana
We run a monthly community market in Kwinana at the Darius Wells Library & Resource Centre. This is held on the 2nd Sunday of the month. We are looking for stallholders who would like to promote their business, sell their products or raise awareness or even swap meet type stalls.
Our monthly newsletter goes out to about 5000 people, including business owners, councils, members of parliaments, doctors & other health professionals, schools, employment agencies and more. We offer businesses a section to promote their business each month for a low-cost fee.
As part of our membership, our members can get discounts from other businesses on our Loyalty Program. Depending on your business it can be as simple as 50c off a cuppa/drink, 10% off, buy 1 get 1 free, free safety check or tyre rotation, free blowdry. The list is endless. To find out more get in touch
We have recently become distributors of:
Kangen Water – This electrolytically-reduced, hydrogen-rich water works to restore your body to a more alkaline state, which is optimal for good health.
Hemp Oil: We have partnered up with Hemp Shack as a distributor of Hemp products. Some of the products include- Hemp oil capsules, Pet Hemp, Hemp Rub, Hemp Conditioner & Shampoo
How to support Invisible Illnesses
- Become a financial member
- Become a sponsor
- Run a fundraiser
- Become a collection point for Hampers 4 Change/Shop 4 A Cause
- Become an Invisible Illnesses Friend
- Workplace giving
- Partner up with us
- Join our Loyalty Program
- Businesses of the month.
To find out more contact Michelle or call our office on 95567119